One of the most difficult parts of putting life on pause and leaving everything you know and love to go cycling half way around the world, in my opinion, is telling everyone that you’re putting your life on pause and leaving everything you know and love to go cycling half way around the world. I’ve had to tell my girlfriend, my parents, my gran, my employers, my landlord and my friends. Some, I must admit, take it better than others. Some don’t seem to care very much, while others look at me oddly and give me a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, certain that my brain must have fallen out.
Most of the people have asked me a tirade of questions, again, some more than others. Here are some of the common questions I’m asked, and the answers I’ve begun to tell:
1. Q: You’re doing what?! A: I’m cycling to India!
2. Q: What, all the way? A: No, that would be ridiculous. Obviously I will need to take the ferry across 20 miles of English Channel. Other than that, though, I plan to cycle the whole way, where possible.
3. Q: How many of you are going? A: Just me!
4. Q: Are you mad? A: Maybe a little bit.
5. Q: How long will that take? A: Maybe six months. There’s not an awful lot of science involved in that estimation, though. I basically looked at a map of the world and decided that an inch was about a month’s ride. It was six inches to India.
6. Q: Where will you sleep? A: In a tent, unless some more desirable sleeping arrangements present themselves en-route.
7. Q: What will you eat? A: I’ll have a trusty bag of rice or pasta secreted in the bottom of my pannier bag, but I will generally be eating whatever food is cheaply and readily available in the countries I travel through.
8. Q: What about your job? A: Unfortunately I decided I couldn’t make it all the way to India within my 25 days of annual leave, so I’ve had to leave my job.
9. Q: Won’t your backside hurt? A: Almost certainly.
10. Q: Will you write a book about it when you get back? A: Maybe, if I have an exciting enough story to tell, and if I can remember how to write!
Please feel free to ask any other questions in the comments box below!